Thursday, January 14, 2010

2P Travels on the Polar Express

In the month of December class 2P studied the Caldecott winning picture book “The Polar Express” by Chris Van Allsburg. This book’s rich vocabulary and theme of believing without seeing created many learning opportunities for students. Naturally most of the learning outcomes derived from the use of this book were directly tied to the Language Arts curriculum. This year however, we decided that under the guidance of Ms. Tonhauser that we would integrate the “Polar Express” unit into technology. The students and I were given Microsoft Word as our toolbox and Ms. Tonhauser as our conductor guided us to creating these awesome cars and train. The kids were encouraged to be creative and by the looks of these train cars we were not disappointed. Enjoy the slide show thanks to Ms. Tonhauser!

Mr. Presseau

7 comments:

  1. I just viewed all of your amazing train cars and I must say that I would enjoy a ride in any one of them! They are very colorful, inviting and most likely comfortable to sit in (since I do see a few people already peeking out of the windows).

    Wishing you all the best this January!
    Nicole from Edmonton, Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your train cars grade 2! The Polar Express is one of my favourite books and you made your Polare Express come to life.

    Jan
    (Alberta)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great idea! I love all of the creative trains and cars. I can even see integrating this Polar Express Unit with math and talking about the different shapes in these pictures. Now you have me thinking. I will share this slideshow with my Grade 1 students too. I know that they will enjoy it as well.

    Awesome work!
    Aviva (Ancaster, ON)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. These are the prettiest trains I have ever seen!You are a very creative class.
    I will be sharing these pictures with my class which is perfect because we are reviewing 2-D shapes this week. Thanks for helping me with my lessons.
    Did you know that in PEI we don't have trains or train tracks anymore?

    Dawn (PEI) http://westwood2c.edublogs.org/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome project integrating technology into the Language Arts and Math curriculum. Your students are very talented.

    I will certainly share this with the teachers in our school.

    L. Tschang
    http://njtechcoordinator.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great job 2P. I loved all the train cars. Some of them look very fast! I heard that there is a train that really runs in Arizona called the Polar Express!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like your colorful presentation...Great job...
    Essay Writing

    ReplyDelete